Thursday, February 3, 2011

Title Undecided (But a GREAT book!)

I wanted to share another story made by a group of children. The authors of this story are three 3 year olds and a 4 year old. One of the 3 year olds insisted that the story begin with "hello" and end not with "the end", but "goodbye". I thought that was really beautiful because in telling the story, we are communicating with one another, having a conversation - I love it. The students came up with the words of the story during a small group meeting recently, and today we reread it and the children made illustrations to go with the story. I won't say anymore yet, I'll just share the story and illustrations: 


Hello. A huge dinosaur eats a little dinosaur. 
The little monkey plays with the Incredible Hulk hermit crab.
And the huge dinosaur loves the Incredible Hulk. 
The monkey went away. They don't know what to do.
The Incredible Hulk saves the big, huge dinosaur from the museum. 
The Incredible Hulk was still alive and he got all his Incredible Hulk family. Goodbye.

FYI, Incredible Hulk is our pet hermit crab - he's rather large and is famous in our classroom for pinching me - he latched on to me, it was pretty painful! 

It was really wonderful to break this project into different days, rereading the story today with the children and revisiting the experience with them before making illustrations. The students were so excited, remembering what they had said, reciting it with me and exclaiming "Oooh! I said that!" Each child remembered exactly which parts of the story they had contributed - it was just a great day! 

3 comments:

  1. Awww...this is precious! I love their artwork and writing. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love that the three year old wanted to begin the book with hello and end with goodbye! How insightful the little ones are!

    Thank you for your recent comment on my blog. You really had such sweet things to say.

    ReplyDelete